world : Former music venue workers launch takeover bid

world : Former music venue workers launch takeover bid
world : Former music venue workers launch takeover bid

Thursday 13 June 2024 10:30 PM

Nafeza 2 world - The plan says that workers would control the business and determine their own pay and conditions while investing profits back into the venue as well as community outreach programmes.

The takeover bid also sets out plans to make the bar's recording studio available for new artists to use.

Former 13th Note worker Nick Troy said that as workers they "bore witness to the failures of the private ownership model in operating, nurturing and sustaining a venue of such social and cultural importance".

He added: "It is this experience that has led us to believe that the workers’ cooperative model - in which the workplace will be run democratically by frontline staff - is the best avenue for the 13th Note."

Unite has backed the plans after supporting staff throughout the dispute at the venue.

Brendan Armstrong, a fellow 13th Note worker, said the plan had already received "incredible support from thousands of punters, artists and workers".

He added: “It’s now over to City Property and Glasgow City Council to determine what kind of hospitality sector they want in this city."

City Property has been approached for a comment.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT world : Harte 'hugely disappointed' as Derry's season peters out