world News : Conor McGregor's comeback fight cancelled

world News : Conor McGregor's comeback fight cancelled
world News : Conor McGregor's comeback fight cancelled

Friday 14 June 2024 10:46 PM

newsonline - Conor McGregor's comeback fight has been cancelled just two weeks before it was to due to take place in Las Vegas.

The Irish mixed martial arts fighter has "an injury", said UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) chief executive Dana White.

No further details were given.

It means the 35-year-old from Dublin cannot take part in UFC 303 on 29 June, where he was due to fight Michael Chandler.

McGregor, who has 22 wins and six defeats, has not competed in UFC since July 2021, when he sustained a broken leg against Dustin Poirier.

The new "main event" will involve light heavyweight champion Alex Pereira defending his belt against Jiri Prochazka, Mr White said in a video on X.

Image: Conor McGregor. File pic: AP

Read more:
Twenty-three sets of twins graduate from same year group
Evan Gershkovich to stand trial in Russia on espionage charges

Mr White said previously that McGregor's return was "all about timing".

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky NewsTap here

He said: "There's all kinds of things that go on behind the scenes, and it's all about timing. Chandler's been ready but Conor hasn't been ready.

Advertisement

"We talked about this in one of the press conferences recently - he had a lot of obligations that he had to deal with.

"What you don't want him doing is accepting a fight when he's got a tonne of obligations and he can't train 100% for a fight."

McGregor recently starred in the remake of 1989 film Road House.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV world : Blackpink's Jennie 'regrets' vaping indoors
NEXT world : Harte 'hugely disappointed' as Derry's season peters out